Head of Finance Warwick Medical School – Coventry
To support the achievement of Departmental strategic objectives through sound financial management and control and the provision of high quality financial advice across all Departmental activities.
Duties and responsibilities
- To be responsible for the provision of complete, accurate and timely departmental financial information in consultation with the CFO, senior team and budget holders, including completing the five year financial plan, quarterly and annual reporting, analysis and forecasting, and the provision of appropriate management information on a regular basis.
- To provide expert support, advice and challenge on the development of strategic initiatives business plans and contracts, working constructively with a range of internal and external stakeholders to support the achievement of the department’s strategic objectives and financial targets whilst managing commercial and financial risk.
- To be responsible for the effective and efficient operation of the finance team within the department, creating a culture of excellence and a commitment to continuous improvement.
- To oversee day to day financial operations, maximising revenue recovery, the achievement of value for money and cost recovery, liaising with external stakeholders as required.
- To ensure departmental compliance with the University’s financial regulations and procedures and funder terms and conditions, including maintaining financial control, compliant audit records and promoting good practice including through training and communication.
- To establish and maintain effective working relationships with the University’s central finance office and other departmental finance colleagues, sharing and promoting best practice.
- To undertake such other duties as may be required by the CFO, or by the Group Finance Director or their representative.
The Person Specification focuses on the knowledge, skills, experience and qualifications required to undertake the role effectively. This is measured by (a) Application Form, (b) Test/Exercise, (c) Interview, (d) Presentation.
Essential Criteria 1Educated to degree level or equivalent experience (a)Essential Criteria 2A recognised accountancy qualification and current professional body membership (CCAB or CIMA). Demonstrable commitment to continuing professional development. (a), (c)Essential Criteria 3Significant post qualification experience of working within an accounts function and working at a senior management level (a), (c)Essential Criteria 4Experience of costing, pricing & evaluating and negotiating business proposals and contracts (a), (c)Essential Criteria 5Experience of IT systems, with excellent spreadsheet skills and experience of large-scale financial management systems (ideally SAP) (a), (c)Essential Criteria 6Significant experience of assessing and implementing financial control and other systems (a), (c)Essential Criteria 7Experience of leading, managing and influencing teams (a), (c)Essential Criteria 8Excellent communication & interpersonal skills, both in writing and orally, to a diverse set of audiences, including senior management & lay board members (a), (c)Essential Criteria 9Ability to build highly effective relationships with both internal and external stakeholders (a), (c)Essential Criteria 10Strong organisational skills with proven record of ability to manage own time and deliver to strict deadlines (a), (c)Essential Criteria 11Strategic perspective with the ability to maintain a very clear understanding of multi-faceted financial issues (a), (c)Essential Criteria 12Strong analytical, problem-solving and project management skills and the ability to manage change (a), (c)Essential Criteria 13Commercial awareness and the ability to analyse and assess new opportunities, identifying and managing risk (a), (c)Essential Criteria 14Excellent working knowledge of UK and international accounting standards (SSAPs, FRSs and IFRS) (a), (c)Desirable Criteria 1Working knowledge of the Universities’ SORP (a), (c)Desirable Criteria 2Knowledge and experience of the HE sector, in particular university finances, including research finance, FEC costing and tax (a), (c)Further ParticularsWarwick Medical School
For further information about the department, please visit the departmental website
For further information about the Finance Office, please visit the Finance Office website here
For further information about the University of Warwick, please read our University Further Particulars.
Right to work in the UK
If you do not yet have the right to work in the UK and/ or are seeking sponsorship under Tier 2 of the UK points-based immigration system please click on this link which contains further information about obtaining right to work in the UK and details about eligibility for sponsorship under Tier 2.
Diversity and Inclusion
The University of Warwick provides an inclusive working and learning environment, recognising and respecting every individual’s differences. We welcome applications from individuals who identify with any of the protected characteristics defined by the Equality Act 2010.