Do you have expertise in random control trials (RCT) and quasi-experimental design (QED) methodologies? If so, come and join NFER as a Senior Statistician.
At NFER, our mission is to improve outcomes for future generations everywhere and to support positive change across education systems. We do this by creating and sharing research, evidence and insights on education policy and practice, informing policymakers and other key decision makers, and strengthening practice in the classroom.
We have a growing portfolio of work, so in this new role you’ll help further develop our capacity to design and run RCT and QED methodologies. You’ll be responsible for the designing and decision making of sampling on education interventions. You’ll contribute to research and development projects at a strategic level and have input into the creative direction. You’ll support the development of our understanding of statistical methods by investigating alternative techniques used by academics and other research organisations to ensure NFER is cutting edge.
This is a highly specialised and technical role working with a team of statisticians in developing NFER’s statistical and quantitative capabilities in relation to assessing and measuring the impact of policy and/or programme delivery across education in the UK and internationally.
You’ll be capable of carrying out high-quality complex statistical analyses, as part of different research teams across the NFER, and will be involved in a number of statistical and strategic areas. In addition to a large variety of evaluation work, you’ll also be involved with an exciting portfolio of test development projects and have access to an internal research fund.
- Salary of £42,000 – £48,000 depending on experience, with generous pension scheme
- 42 days per year comprising 30 days’ holiday and four additional discretionary days, in addition to bank holidays
- Positive working culture that promotes a good work/life balance
- Free parking
- Excellent support for professional development from a network of fellow economists/quantitative researchers
- Be well qualified in statistics or economics
- Experience of leading work at a senior level
- An experienced statistician in the clinical or educational field
- An excellent understanding of individual and cluster-randomised designs, consent issues, data collection, the randomisation process and how the design of an evaluation relates to analysis
- An understanding of quasi-experimental designs and how this differs from the processes for an RCT
- Excellent writing skills in the drafting of proposals, evaluation protocols, statistical analysis plans and reports
- Be an experienced user of statistical software, particularly R and SPSS
- The ability to lead projects and other statisticians within project teams
- Have a practical and well-organised approach to the analysis of data
- Be able to work quickly and accurately to meet deadlines
- An ability to communicate analysis findings to a variety of audiences
- An ability to work flexibly as a member of a team with an interest in education or general social science research
- A PhD with a high statistical component
- An understanding of the UK educational system
The role is based at Slough but we are open to flexible working.
This role is open for Tier 2 sponsorship.
NFER is a not-for-profit organisation and an equal opportunities employer, welcoming applications from all sections of the community.
So, if you are looking for a fresh, new challenge as a Senior Statistician, apply via the button shown. This vacancy has been placed by Webrecruit on behalf of NFER.